I Forge Iron

Help identifying my Anvil

Greetings all

I was left this anvil by my stepfather along with a lot of other metal working equipment and I'm hoping I can get some help in identifying it and perhaps ageing it as well.

It measures 915mm L X 380mm H X 360mm W at the base. (sorry imperial cousins) I've put a can of coke on it in the attached pics to show scale.

I can't really make the markings out but it has something stamped on the side then directly underneath it has what I think says 'EMPRESS SOLID STEEL'  then directly underneath that there are some numbers in a larger font but again I can't make them out.

Any help greatly appreciated

post-51380-0-83927200-1391127833_thumb.j

post-51380-0-56025300-1391127850_thumb.j

Above solid steel you can make out the S of Sweden, and just a bit of the other letters. The pattern/form is also as other cast steel Swedish made anvils, although I've not seen one stamped Empress here in the USA. If the bottom is flat, it's probably from one of the Söderfors, Paragon, SISCO, foundries. Nice one, enjoy it!

Add your location to your profile so you can get better answers.  

Couple of things you can do, take a rubbing with paper and a pencil to bring out additional information or cast a strong directional strafing light across the lettering from a low angle. It sometimes helps to dust it with flour and then wipe off the excess leaving the white indents to shine through.