I Forge Iron

Fisher #5 advice

Hello, 

I am looking at a Fisher #5 on the Craigs list, which is not listed with a price. It is pretty beat up, the horn is chewed up pretty bad and it is overall kinda dinged up from the picture I have. 

post-24020-0-66428400-1385005966_thumb.j

Is this a good buy? I have only a 30# railroad track as an anvil now, and if I can get this Fisher, I would like to. I my area (Maryland) anvils are not rare, but often are listed for 1.5-2 USD/lb. Would I be justified in seeing if I can score this Fisher for less than 1$/lb? 

Thanks, 

Patrick

I think $2 a pound is a fair price for a usable anvil.  Here in the PNW anvils are harder to come by and $3-$5 a pound is common.  I think if you could get it for less than $100, you'd be OK.  I would mention to the seller (4 or 5 times) that the horn is broken and the anvil is kinda beat up.  I like Fishers, I own 2.

Geoff

I'd certainly go for it.  The chewed up horn is a bad thing only because it takes away some of the functionality of the anvil and will be expensive for you to have repaired.  Still, a 50# Fisher anvil is head and shoulders above a 30# rail road track, even if the Fisher is a bit worse for wear.

The anvil in that picture looks to be in great condition except for the tip of the horn.  You've got a good clean face, sharp edges and a flat top with minimal sway, it appears, so I'd certainly inclined to buy it if the price was reasonable.  I'd go as much as $2/lb on it, but try for less because of the damage.  It's an honest concern because it does detract from the very reason for buying a london-pattern anvil.