I Forge Iron

Burner flare position in ceramic blanket.

billgiles2

I am planning on using a 2" blanket in a gas forge I am making out of a 5 gallon propane tank. Most of the suggestions say that I should position the torch so that the end is about 1" from the end of the blanket. I just read a blog on another website that said that the flame should not tough the blanket or it will burn it. Which is correct? Also, i was wondering if Plistix 900 is also appropriate to use as a stiffner for the blanket? Thank you.

My 2¢:

If you coat your blanket (and it should be coated to prevent particles from being breathed) you can actually form the flare into the refractory itself. Its the way I have done it with good results. I use refractory mortar over my blanket and mold a tapered flare in the hole where the flareless burner pipe enters. Bada bing, no more burned out flares :)  As for the metal flare, it should just meet the inside of the forge but not protrude into it. even a 1/4" recessed is good