I Forge Iron

1075 large hunter

quint

Hey guys just about done with this one. Think its toward the better of my blade forging but still alot of room for improvement. Its 1075 from admiral I got a while back (wont make a hamon really at all). I forged it best I could, profiled, ground and etched to remove all the scale, then I ran the sand paper over the forged parts so it gives it kind of a cool look. Well probably a cool look if your not a discriminating blacksmith that would point out that it could be alot smoother :) 

Handle is natural walnut, brass pins. My taper on the blade was off just a tad so one of the scales didnt meet up properly at the top of the handle giving me a little to large of a line. 

Thanks for looking. 

mod1_zps42797ff6.jpg

mod2_zps9c9bfa33.jpg

mod3_zps5b5341a9.jpg

mod4_zps375bad4f.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the forged look, but I like this one.  You got a good finish on the polished parts and the proportions are attractive. 

A bit ore time spent fitting the scales would have fixed your glue line issue.  When you ground the tang you rolled off the top edge.  That happens quite easily.  If you take a piece of plate glass, or a piece of granite tile and glue down a piece of sand paper you can get a nice flat on the tang by rubbing it on the tile.  If you mark the tang with a sharpie to show the high and low spots, that will help too.  I also like the look of a tapered tang, it is something a hand maker can do that factory designers almost never do.

Geoff

Thanks guys. Geoff I know the forged look is not for everyone. Gonna say the tang is as forged on the flats. I should have hit it with the belt but ended up just leaving it as forged which gave me some of the issues that I ran into. All good suggestioins though. 

Thanks.