I Forge Iron

Oxy/Acetylene Transport

What are the rules to transporting empty tanks to get refilled?
I know you gotta have the valve caps in place, but is there rules to what type of vehicle you can carry them in?

I just bought a Oxy/Acety setup from a machine shop here who has been bought out and is liquidating everything. he has a 30' Lathe, and a nice hydrolic bender that will be hitting the auction block here in Greenville, N.C.
If anyone is in the area he has ALOT of stuff not just the few I listed here, I can post when and where the auction will be.

They have to be chained up or otherwise secured so they don't fall over. It's good practice to keep them upright.

But, I have a Jeep and just lean them between the passenger seat and the dashboard. They're almost upright and secure enough not to move around.

rvb

You can set acetylene tanks on their side. My supplier agree and I do it all the time. You cannot move them from laying on their side to vertical and use them immediately however. The acetylene is dissolved in a liquid acetone goo, so the tank is almost full of acetone. It has a tendency to get up in the valve at the top, so let it set upright for an hour or so to let everything drip back down. You don't want that in your regulators or hoses.

I refill at least once a month, usually twice a month, both Ox and Acetylene for over 8years. Transport is my Jeep wrangler with tanks moslty flat piled carefully in the back , or in my cherokee laying down one the back seat or all the way back.

Keep things vented with windows open and don't smoke around the tanks, in case of a minor leak things tend to build up in your air conditioned vehicles, not so in a jeep with no doors of course.