I Forge Iron

First Flower and Leaf Forge Weld

I decided to try a flower and leaf project by forge welding the leaves to the flower stem.  The flower is a steel disc about 1/8 by 2.5 inch with a hole drilled in the center.  I hot cut the disk into petals and used a ball punch on each petal end. The stem for the leaf assembly and the stem for the flower were 3/8" round stock about six inches long.  I drew out one rod and put leaves on each end and then nicked the rod a bit off center folded it and faggot welded it to itself.  I used a butcher die in my guillotine to draw out a tennon in the other rod and then peened the tennon to affix the flower to the stem.  I then forge welded the flower stem between the stems of the leaves.  Final finish was to heat and bend the petals with a long nosed plyers and bend the stems into a pleasing orientation.  A hot wire brusing with a power wire brush and a brass brush on the leaves finished the piece.  I applied a clear acrylic spray to complete the work.

post-3397-0-07452200-1379465641_thumb.jp

post-3397-0-98903900-1379465788_thumb.jp