I Forge Iron

Show Me Your Homemade Anvils!

Here is a anvil I built 7 years ago when I was 19 years old. I did not know enough to research proper steel faces for anvils at the time. I just asked my welding supply shop for hard facing rod and used what they sold me. It is a stainless that micro cracks to stress relive so it is a bit ugly up close. But regardless the anvil is pretty hard, maybe 50 Rockwell. I have used it pretty hard over the years and it has help up fine for hot steel. The anvil is made from 18 blocks of mild steel. Every part was cut with a gas torch for 100% penetration welds except the feet and upsetting block. They were maybe only 3/4 inch fillet welds as they would provide little rebound into the main block of the anvil. I built the thing over a few weeks of evening welding in my little shop. I used a Miller Thunderbolt DC, little stick welder. And I am sure I overran the cool down time but it buzzed on happily for years and still works today. Also I used a angle grinder, drill press, gas torch, and square.

Hopefully one day I will replace it with a solid steel new anvil. But this works fine for now

The anvil is just shy of 200lbs

post-1847-0-47037600-1379866546_thumb.jp

post-1847-0-68757500-1379866567_thumb.jp

Dodge, thats really nice. was it burned out of 1 piece of metal, or multiple pieces and then welded together? and how did you form your horn? im gonna be building a horn for mine soon, so i need some advice lol.

Martin, thats a very innovative way to build one! now I have another idea... :)

whatever machine he used, it was a monster. ive got a machine shop at my disposal, the biggest cnc mill machines being a mori-seiki MV55, and a samsung mcv550. the only reason I wouldnt try it is because of tooling cost if I wore inserts or endmills out. thats no small project lol