I Forge Iron

New type Kinyon Hammer Shuttle valve problems.

I am using the shuttle valve suggested in the plans for the new style Kinyon hammer.  Using Mobil DTE light oil in the air and 60 drops per minute.  The wiper rings have deteriorated and the shuttle valve hangs up.  These are flat rings, not o-rings and cannot be replaced.  This is the second time in a year.   Norgreen supplies a new shuttle assembly for $50.00 plus shipping.  

My question, is anyone else having this problem?  Do you have a good fix?  Can anyone recommend a better valve that is repairable without spending $50 +?  Will be calling Norgeen today but don't expect much help.

My air is clean and dry.  Running 90 psi and the hammer strokes about 120 beats a min.

Thanks.

Tried e-mailing Ron.  No answer.

Are you using the Norgren valve?  I have been using the recommended oil.  Just talked to Norgren and they suggested using a gland less valve.[no o-rings]  But they don't have one quite big enough plus 6 to 8 weeks delivery.  I sure need something sooner than that.  I used air tool oil to begin with when I wipe out the first time.  What is your drop rate on your oilier?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes on the norgren valve. I can't quantify my dribble rate, other than looking at the hammer base after a session. If there's a puddle, I turn it down. If there's no oil sign, I turned it up a little.
This may be a good thread to add a troubleshooting tip I discovered after way too many hours of scratching my head...A friend has the same Kinyon leaf spring hammer that we made. It started to get 'lazy' after 2 yrs of service. Meaning, when she let off the treadle, the tup (upper ram) would stay on the bottomed out on the anvil position. She would have to bounce the treadle to get the ram to lift up for the next task. After a lot of thinking, we established that the coil spring in the master 5-way air valve had fatigued, and didn't have the schwiing to lift the spool valve to the point that air could rush into the bottom port of the ram, lifting it up. Now here's the gooey part-- we ordered a new master valve, the same part number as the one from 2 years ago. It fixed the problem. I took it apart, 'cause that's the kind of guy I am, and the two valves, with the same part number, had different length coil springs. The new one had a shorter length spring, and a nylon spacer to make it the same length as the old spring. I can't comment on whether this was a better idea, or a case of the supplier got a great deal on a bunch of springs that was the wrong length.

I defiantly have wiper ring problems.  The edges are rough and seem to hang in the spring loaded position.  The spring may be the problem.  I will make a 3/8 spacer and see if it helps.  I might try with a 1/4 first.  I found a gland less valve in Eugene that is the correct ccv.  I will know more Monday.

According to Norgren the valve we are using isn't really rated for .5 second strokes.

Backwoods...I have had nothing but bad performance and indifferent tech support with two Norgren valves ..admittedly, the last valve failure was due to using Mystery oil which is synthetic and compressor oil which was synthetic.  Rebuild kits were almost the cost of a new valve and the delivery time was way too long.  For the same $ I got a Parker B834000XXA  with 3/4 ports and 7.0 CV.  Spool kits are available in-stock.....Big performance  increase with the 7.0 CV.  Hope this helps,,Keith

Got it from MSC for $150 ......Call and ask to talk to tech support for application of this valve with single air pilot.  That number has several different control options......I had assembly grease blowing out from underneath the pilot port block.  Finally found that this is the exhaust vent for the  pilot and not a seal/gasket problem.....Drove me crazy figured if you bought this valve I'd save you the headache.  LOL