I Forge Iron

copper iris

Pat Roy

• 3 weeks later...

First you have to create patterns for the various pieces. This may take a couple tries to get it right. I start with paper and transfer the outline to the metal (copper) using a fine point sharpie, cut out the pattern with aircraft shears. Then start working the metal; texture and shaping. The different colors (not really obvious in the photos) are achieved by flaming with a propane or butane torch. Different degrees of heat result in different colors. Practice on scrap.

The stem is a steel (or stainless steel) 3/16 diameter rod threaded on one end. The flower parts are drilled to fit on the end of the rod and held in place with a brass nut below and a brass cap nut on top. The leaves are brazed to the shaft. Everything is finished with clear coat which unfortunately takes away some of the patina on the copper.

Texturing and shaping is where the art/craft comes in. I have taken a few repousse classes which have been very helpful. That's it in a nutshell (as usual nothing is as simple as it first appears and your mileage may vary). Good luck.