I Forge Iron

Mahogany-Handled Nessmuk

Gundog48

My latest creation - a 5160 nessmuk with a mahogany handle and my first time with proper fittings! Quite enjoyed making this fellow, I think I'll look to sell it at some point, I've far too many knives lying around to make use of it! Eagerly awaiting the drive wheel for my grinder so I can start doing polished blades and put better grinds on them!

post-24777-0-94827600-1372867657_thumb.j

post-24777-0-16534300-1372867711_thumb.j

Thanks broomhead! That mahogany was a good find from an old door- I reckon there's about 100 handles in there! You're right on the polish, I did one recently with a polished finish, the thing is that I spend about twice as long with file and paper as I did with hammer and anvil. This may just be due to the abrasive paper being cheap, but I really enjoy forging and don't like to spend hours polishing as I don't have a whole lot of time to work on things! It's pretty much a matter of time for me, plus it'd allow me to do different kinds of grinds which I can't to with files and abrasives.

I enjoy doing the handles by hand, I wouldn't use a grinder on them. I carve it out with a draw knife then start rounding it off until I'm ready to smooth it off with sandpaper!