I Forge Iron

New Coal Forge Almost Complete

PaulKrzysz

Continued from this thread:

I have been working of this forge for the while. 

My Father said to wait for him and he would help me do it, but you never know how long you will wait so I did most of it myself. 

The Firepot assembly was all me, as well as the table. When a welded the table it was warped where only the two opposite corners of the table would be level, my Dad saw this and decided to help me fix it by doing the legs. Other then the legs it was all me.

This was also my first welding project so it was good experience.

I learned welding with 6013 electrodes was easier then 7018, the 7018 did not like to strike an arc and would stick often, causing lots of frustration.

The Forge measures 33'' tall, 22.5'' wide, 36'' long. The odd dimensions are because I will be filling the table with firebricks instead of what seems to be common here, a steel sheet. The firebricks measure 4.5''x9'' so the table is 5 bricks wide, 4 bricks long.

The firepot is the last thing I need to complete, it is made of 3/8'' angle iron, I will be welding a thick plate on the bottom and maybe filling in the firepot with clay to make a more tapered shape on the inside for the coal. it measures 9''x9''x4''. The air outlet will be a 2'' black iron cap which can be screwed on and unscrewed fairly easily. The advantage of the cap is it is rounded at the top and clinker will flow around it, not on it, therefore not obstructing airflow. The air assembly will be simply bolted on to the bottom fire pot plate.

I plan of running it with my hand crank blower, it is a 12'' Canadian Forge and Blower, model 99 if I remember correctly.

The anvil was made of a I-beam, it has a 1 1/8'' hardy welded in. I already have a Peter Wright so I intend to use it as a bench anvil. I still need to drill in a prichel hole. One thing which I do not know how to do is to bend the horn. At first I though to cut the top plate until I hits the plate which intersect it perpendicularly, once this was done I could hit it with a sledge to bend it, the problem with this is I already cut the support under the horn and if I hit it with a sledge the entire this would bend uncontrollably on me. Anyone have any Ideas for bending the horn? I think it might be too big for the forge.

Any Comments, Criticisms, and Help is welcome.

post-27777-0-95776300-1371603227_thumb.j

post-27777-0-61850600-1371603237_thumb.j

post-27777-0-67912400-1371603246_thumb.j

post-27777-0-66997900-1371603255_thumb.j

post-27777-0-61347600-1371603263_thumb.j

Greetings White,

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth..  If I were you I would forget the rail anvil on the forge...  You will find it  just gets in the way .. Mount on a stump at your desired height and forget trying to bend  the horn..   A 3/8 plate would be plenty for the top and forget the clay or refractory..   I would consider before mounting the plate position the firepot for a nice side draft hood ..  You wont be sorry...  That's what I got and I hope it helps...

Jim

Greetings White,

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth..  If I were you I would forget the rail anvil on the forge...  You will find it  just gets in the way .. Mount on a stump at your desired height and forget trying to bend  the horn..   A 3/8 plate would be plenty for the top and forget the clay or refractory..   I would consider before mounting the plate position the firepot for a nice side draft hood ..  You wont be sorry...  That's what I got and I hope it helps...

Jim

Thank you Jim,

The anvil was just on the forge for display purposes, I will mount it properly. The table will be filled with firebricks. We are going to put up a roof to make a open air shop within the next few months, once that is done the hood will be the next on the list.

This is my anvil 180Lb Peter Wright. As I stated the I beam anvil will just be a hardy holder/bench anvil.

My apologies :) Looking good! Can't wait to see it with a fire in it! Not sure if you have an oxy / ac torch but you can use that to heat the I beam and bend it. Make cuts on both sides of the part so it bends (sorry for a bad description)