I Forge Iron

flare for gas forge burner

aparofan

A quick question. I've been rolling my own flares for my single burner forge and they work good but for only so long. I know a lot of people use stainless flare which leads me to my question. I've just got through building and lining a double burner forge and one of my buddies who cleans out foreclosures bring me scrape metal all the time. The other day he shows up with a safety rail like they use in hospitals. I thought it was brushed aluminum until I started reading and pretty much all of them are stainless, for health reasons I assume. My question is do you think they would make a good flare and if so how hard will it be to get the right flare and what would be the best avenue for doing so? Multi question...sorry.

Aluminum would make a very poor burner flare anyway. If the stainless is the size of your burner tube there's no reason it wouldn't work. I'm assuming this railing is round, heavy walled (11 ga anyway) tubing? Just cut to length and heat and beat the flare on the horn of the anvil. Easy Peasy. OR if the tubing is larger than the burner tube, calculate the length you need for the 12:1(?) taper and split the tube and cut a wedge out and neck down and weld seam (That is how I did mine)