I Forge Iron

Creative solution to an anvil waist break?

Not my anvil, but I thought this was a creative solution along the lines of "When life give you lemons, make lemonade".  I'm guessing this anvil was broken at the waist and rather than have it rewelded, the owner opted for this.   :D

3Fe3Ld3M85N85I65F2d5l0cd9f3c56a971bcf.jp

More likely this is a retired ships anvil.  I have seen a number of anvils that were known to have been ships anvils for which it was standard practice to cut the anvil at the waist and affix them in some manner( unknown to me) to the ships deck.  

Most of these anvils that I have seen have been re-welded to their base upon return to shore service.  Some to an unrelated base.  

I would like to hear from someone who has seen one of these anvil installed on board a ship.  Perhaps some one here can further enlighten us.

Interesting anvil prosthesis.

I had been contacting the seller about this anvil....  It's been for sale for a year now, unless it just recently sold.

The seller "didn't think it was broken off" and did not have any further close up pictures. 

I wasn't willing to drive that far without better information, at least not for the asking price.