I Forge Iron

Canadian Forge and Blower Anvil

Some people I've known for a while, who have vast troves of old stuff (the late estate owner having been a multimillionaire and all) have both an old Canadian Forge blower and anvil make anvil they're willing to part with, and I'm trying to come up with a reasonble price. It's not very big, and quite rusted and full of scratches and scars. I think maybe around 60 pounds or so, and requiring substantial work to the face. However I wouldn't mind a bit of a beater to practice on, and potentially give to a friend of mine. Anyone have an idea what these anvils are made of and what would be a reasonable offer?

I certainly don't want to overspend, but these are people who have a lot of stuff that could be of use to me, so I don't want to undercut too much. That being said given the work I'd have to put into this anvil, I think something around the $50 CAD mark would be entirely reasonable.

(and for the future, they also have a forge which is slowly rusting at their garage, which their mechanic would love to give to me, but they have a tendency to cling to things heh, so I'll wait to ask about that)

Canadian blower and Forge anvils are low quality cast iron anvils.  I have seen about 20 of them now and probably about 18 of them were in very poor condition (I have one and sold one).  If you do buy one, don't expect to get a lot of functional use as an anvil out of it.

Noted. Nothing was particularly impressive about this one, I just figured it might be worth it at a pretty cheap price. It's got all manner of scratches and nicks.

Didn't have much of a ring either, so I guess that explains it. Unless they offer a fairly aggressively low price, I guess I should pass this one up. (Already have a very good anvil anyway)

• 6 years later...

Hi . I have purchased a Canadian blower & forge anvil . I Was cLeaning it up to do repairs  & reAlized by the Sparks it wasn't good metal .read this post & realized I had a ASO. Our local scrap yard gets rail car axles in periodically . The last piece I got still had the steel manufacture sticker on it , for my power hammer.  The metal is 8.250 "dia of 4140, I was thinking of making an anvil out of a piece . Not sure where everyone lives but here in Manitoba , CA . Anvils are hard to come by & very expensive if you Do find one . Has anyone tried making an anvil from rail car axle , any info would be very much appReciated. Thanks Doug

52 minutes ago, Retired farmer said:

here in Manitoba , CA .

Welcome aboard, we won't remember this once leaving this post. Hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show your location in this thread. READ THIS FIRST

It is loaded with tips to get the best out of the forum. If you look through the Improvised Anvils thread, I think there are several posts about rail car axles used as anvils.