I Forge Iron

Starting a wannabe smith.

JAKA

It's good to let people know you're interested in blacksmithing.

I was surprised to get a phone call from my regular UPS delivery man one Saturday. He had seen a seldom used, small forge sitting outside my garage and wanted to know if I had any blacksmithing tools I could sell him. He had read a lot of material on blacksmithing and wanted to start forging but couldn't find any equipment other than new (expensive) stuff.
I, having 5 sons, had collected anvils over the years to supply each of them with one. I had two anvils left just gathering rust so I sold him his choice at a really good price for him and threw in two sets of tongs and a hot cut for the anvil.
The man thought it was pure gold and it really warmed my heart to see how excited he was. I'm hoping he takes me up on my invite to come back anytime and to also show me some of his forgings.
:D
JAKA

JAKA,
Ya did a good thing. Helping someone else to get started into the blacksmithing process seems to be a natural step for blacksmiths who feel comfortable with, and are established in the craft. It’s like finding something that brings you joy, you want to share it.
I also enjoy letting anybody who shows an interest in blacksmithing to come over to my shop and experience what it is about.
And when they go home, they will be carrying a small scroll in their hand that they have forged for themselves.
I try to keep it hands-on, simple, and fun as it should be.
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted

At a recent event we did classes in S hooks and simple forged spoons. The faces of the students walking away with a thing they made with their own hands was worth more than money can buy. I love seeing the craft being passed on .
Finnr

Don't you know that years later when they pull that, perhaps rusted, scroll or spoon out of where they stored it that it will bring back fond memories of their forging experience. Thanks, it's good to know other get as much out of giving of our craft as I do.

JAKA