I Forge Iron

Info from Norgren about control valves that you need to know

The Norgren valve on my hammer seized up pre-maturely after two years of light use.  I called a distributor who told me that there was not a single valve kit in any of the the US distributors.  Delivery on a new $275 valve, was 2-3 weeks.  This is the same valve used by many for Kinyon hammers.  I called Norgren direct and was told the same for cost and delivery time. I asked if this was an obsolete or low sale volume valve -- No..Asked about a kit and was told $68 and 2-3 weeks delivery.  When pressed, was told that they would have to pull one off the assembly line and assemble it for that valve body for an additional $50 with shipping within 48 hours. The one useful piece of info that I got was that Marvel Mistery Oil air tool oil and synthetic oil in the air compressor will swell the o-rings.  Yep, you guessed it....ran out of air tool oil and picked up MM oil at the big box and have use synthetic oil for everything......  Anyone want to recommend another valve?

any chance that the O-rings are standard, readily available at the auto parts store sizes?

I bet they are......If that's the case then beware Marvel Mystery Oil users. I almost bought some at the thrift store in gal. jugs not long ago and it wouldn't have been unlike me to mix a little in with some air tool oil........... :ph34r:

Mike-hr:   These are clearly non-standard o-rings....very thin.  They are so small as to be difficult to remove without scratching the spool.  My guess is the kit includes the spool and gaskets

Macbruce:  Parker was going to be my next stop as there is a distributor 4 miles from my house.  I'd really appreciate a part number for a valve with a 5 CV rating. 

Thx, K

Mike-hr:   These are clearly non-standard o-rings....very thin.  They are so small as to be difficult to remove without scratching the spool.  My guess is the kit includes the spool and gaskets

Macbruce:  Parker was going to be my next stop as there is a distributor 4 miles from my house.  I'd really appreciate a part number for a valve with a 5 CV rating. 

Thx, K

Here it is..................Parker #     B743000XXA My cost over a year ago was $140