I Forge Iron

Afternoon Fish

Here is a quick afternoon project I did for a friend.  He wanted a fish to put on his fishing pole holder. So I built this for the side. I just cut out some 12ga (I think) steel, using a angle grinder and cutting wheel, to rough shape, then heating in the forge and using some chisels, I cut to final shape and put on the design. Then I used some red and black metal stain for color. I think it came out ok, may make a few more for yard or wall decorations.

post-22169-0-94218200-1364882390_thumb.j

post-22169-0-02322700-1364882421_thumb.j

PoundHound

It is a metal stain I get from sculpt sculpt nouveau here is a link to their website and smart stains. but I use some of their other products, like their clear guard sealer over the top of plain metal or the stain as in this case. I have gotten complements on the finish when I have used their Japanese brown also.

http://www.sculptnouveau.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=84&category=6

I like finishing my metal this way rather than just primer and paint.

Cool,thanks. Spendy stuff. How many colors do you have? I like that red, are they all the same "earthy" tones?

I got a variety pack they had (I live close enough I stopped at their facility). So I don't know if they offer the smaller sample pack, but seems like I have red, black, green, purple, and blue. they all have come out nice so far. 

I have also used some of their waxes and the Japanese brown like I mentioned before.

as for the price a little goes a long way. the only thing I have had to replace after two years is the clear coat, and I am sure if I was more careful could have gotten away with using way less.

In their showroom they have sample pieces done in their stains, with different colors etc. The stuff looks amazing.  They apply more then one product to make really cool looking finishes. I am just using the product simply but it still come out good.

here is the green wax on an alligator I did

aligator.jpg

PoundHound

I made a half dozen small fish out of copper, about 3" long, this past year and then made a copper stringer for them to go on. It was a big hit at he iron pour, then I gave out the six fish to friends that I may not see again for a long time. I riveted on the fins for added dimension.

this one is about 8 inches in length, I did not measure the height, I just did it to scale by eye.

I was thinking of make one out of copper, i have made blue patina on copper using salt water and ammonia. I thought it might look cool on a fish.

here is the color on a leaf

2013-03-07+19.54.28.png