I Forge Iron

Beaudry help

Hi all,  almost there with the little 50 but wanted to clean up some old trash on the crank before firing it up.  I'm looking for a close-up photo of the crank adjusting slide-nut and approx. dimensions. Looking to replace the sketchy thing someone added here.

TIA,

post-12478-0-45291300-1364319836_thumb.j

post-12478-0-65395600-1364319863_thumb.j

post-12478-0-04322500-1364319884_thumb.j

Generous offer, Bruce. Might take you up on that. I haven't gone into the spring box yet but it's looking like one screw is tensioned more than the other.  I'm starting to be amazed at the adjustability they built into these things.  PM sent, Willey

FYI I have the correct tap for chasing the arm tensioner threads if you need one. It's 3'' x 10 tpi

I can't quite make out on your photos how thay had that one set up... Did someone just put a plate and nut on the far end of the bolt that adjusts the throw? Like Mr. Willey said, theres no need for it. You just need to be sure the nut that holds the connecting rod on gets tightened back up after you adjust the throw. If you need the bolt itself, I have a spare one you can have. I think at some point in its life someone forgot to tighten the connecting rod nut back up after adjusting it so it's just a little bent, not too badly to straighten.

Generous offer, Bruce. Might take you up on that. I haven't gone into the spring box yet but it's looking like one screw is tensioned more than the other.  I'm starting to be amazed at the adjustability they built into these things. 

Back around 1980 I got a nice little 50# Beau for $500 I think but it had been outside for a long time. Getting the adjuster nuts out was hard and there was no way I could just pop em back in and use em so chasing the threads with a tap was my only option.......Yeesh, a new 3 x 10 tpi was big bucks and I was desperate......I went back to the same yard I bought the hammer at(man do I miss that place) and started rooting through bins of old tooling and bingo! Got it for $1.50 a pound, that has to rate one of the best days scrounging I ever had..... :D .....I've only used it once and I've eyed it a time or two thinking if I squished it , it would make a cool looking bowl......Available to anyone for shipping to and fro......

post-15096-0-44274400-1364392419_thumb.j

No, I never got anything back. For awhile I was thinking about turning it into an air hammer, even collected some parts. The problem I had was that every time I looked at it I got angry. Really angry. So I sold it to another smith, he can turn it into an air hammer. I bought a beaudry #4 a couple years ago for $1500 that had been sitting outside for 20 years, I've been working on that. I think it was well treated for most of its life but I think someone who had no clue whatsoever beat it to hell for the last couple years it was in service. Whoever he was was actually trying to hold the lower die in with a rough-forged wedge... when that didn't work he just started hammering in bits of metal. One little piece he actually hammered in UNDER the die. I don't wonder why the sow block is cracked. Gotta get the lathe and shaper set up. I think the only part I have left now from the other one is the throw adjustment screw Steve was asking about. I found it when I went out to look at mine and scratch my head after reading his original post.

Maybe I should document my rebuild, people might enjoy that.

Oh, and it does look like karma has almost caught up with one of the people that was involved in the theft of parts from my #6, apparently he's looking at 22 years if he gets convicted. I'll send him a nice bar of very slippery soap.