I Forge Iron

Towel Racks

Two towel racks I finished over the last couple of months.  Both are from 3/8" x 3/4" stock.  The top one is small, probably big enough for a wash cloth.  The bottom one is a bit bigger - the span across the leaves is close to 18" or so.  Both were fun to make, but in both cases I underestimated the amount of material I needed to draw out - the curves ate up significantly more length than I expected.  The simple solution would be to plan things out with pen, paper, and some basic math.  But that's just crazy talk. ;)

These are also my first attempt at leaves - #1-4 are in the pics.  I like making them, but need much more practice before they look closer to leaf-like.  The Knife-making 101 tutorials were helpful with them - gave me some good insight into moving metal in a very small, localized area.

The finish on them is 1/3-1/3-1/3 beeswax, turpentine, and linseed oil.  Very easy to work with, and I like the result, especially on the top one.  The bottom one I wasn't as thorough getting the scale off before coating, and it doesn't look as nice, IMHO.

TowelrackI_zps686ba0fe.jpg

TowelrackII_zpsa7011252.jpg

Anyway, thanks to everyone for sharing info and ideas on the site.  Any tips anyone can throw my way would be appreciated.

Thanks,

PE

Greetings , 

It looks like you got a good start....  I will pass on a few helpfull things...  I use long pipe cleaners to lay out work and establish lenght...  You can also use clay.. both help alot... 

Keep a bangin

Jim