I Forge Iron

Colonial Wrought Iron

cheftjcook

“Colonial Wrought Iron, The Sorber Collection”
ISBN: 1-879535-16-5
244 PAGES
Author: Don Plummer
Publisher: Skipjack Press
I recently purchased This Book and I found it to be great from two fantastic different perspectives.
The first perspective is as a very neat pictorial history of blacksmith Items of very skilled smiths in America especially the east coast. These items are both function/practical as well as decorative and ornate. And as this historical show it is great.
But as a second more important perspective for me it is such a fantastic idea generator. As I flipped through I was flooded with ideas of stuff for future projects. It is fantastic!!!!
It is also arranged very well. The layouts are grouped so that it is easy to look for specific items and see many examples of the same piece you are looking at.
IMHO:D I feel this book would be a great addition to any blacksmiths library.
Tim

• 3 years later...

For me this book is one of my personal top 10 blacksmithing references
I also might add the following
Blacksmith and Farriers Tools at Shelborne Museum-A History of their developement from forge to factory. By H.R. Bradley Smith
Everyday Artifacts-America 1750-1850. By Anthony L. Tafel
Fire Steels. By Victorio Cassiandra & Alessandro Cesati
All of Gene Chapmans Oak & Iron series
The Knife in Homespun America. By Madison Grant
As you can see all of these revolve around Colonial and Frontier America. This my and my wife's main intrest as we are living historians.
If you are uable to locate any of the books you want, I suggest you visit your local library with all the information possible about the book you want and ask them to do a library search and and inter-library loan.
The book Fire Steels was an inter-library loan done for me, and there are only thirteen libraries on the North American continent that had it. I got it for two weeks.
It works when all else fails.