I Forge Iron

Hello From Texas

raserei777

My name is Anthony. I reciently started getting into blacksmithing. Always wanted to try it out. I built my own forge and have a 200+lb anvil on Loan.  Ive read a few of the threads on here lot of good information.  I have a few different sized ball peen hammers laying around the house. Will probably buy a 2-2.5 lb German or Sweedish hammer. I do have a quick question I read lot of people recommend building tongs. Which pair should I BUY to start off with since there are so many sized, shapes and styles?  Id like 1 pair that would be good to start off with. After I practice a bit I will start building my own.

raserei,

Let us know where in Texas you are.  There are several very active groups around the state and we may be able to get you hooked up with one of them.  I live in Devine, about 30 minutes south of San Antonio.  Yesterday I got to open Stroud's Blacksmith Shop.  It has been many, many years since that forge has seen a fire.  We ended up with seven of us in the fire and had about 20 visitors to the shop.  It was a very interesting day.  We have been invited to come again so, we will probably be helping get it into shape.  If you are close, let us know and we will get you in there too.

Jerry

Last weekend three Texas blacksmith groups got together at Steephollow Forge Works in Bryan, Texas.  They are Balcones Forge, Houston Area Blacksmith Association and the North Texas Blacksmith Association.  We had a great turnout.  I am much more familiar with Balcones and HABA but, you should get in touch with North Texas Blacksmith Association http://www.ntxba.org/.  Good luck, Jerry