I Forge Iron

Pointy parang with lanyard

This parang was a commission from a customer who wanted something similar to the previous parang I posted, but gave me a free hand if I wanted to try something new.  This is the result, one with more of a point to it.

The steel is 5160, triple normalized, triple hardened, and triple tempered.  The integral socket handle is wrapped in olive drab paracord with coyote brown two-strand Turk's head knots, impregnated with Minwax Wood Hardener.  The blade length is 14 1/2" and the overall length is 20 7/8".  It shaves hair of course.  :)

parang06_zps5e4a02c0.jpg

The customer wanted a lanyard, somthing I've never added to a bush sword before.  With the integral socket handle, it was fairly simple to do, though.  I tied a length of paracord in the center around the choil, ran the ends through the hollow of the handle and out the back, then tied it off.

parang03_zpse288441c.jpg

parang04_zps1a2558fb.jpg

parang05_zpsef863ea8.jpg

I really like this design.  I think I'll do something else with it.  :D

Homeshow - Don't know what to tell you; the pics show up fine for me.  ??? :(

Andrewwillis - Thanks!  After stock removal, I heat and quench, heat again and quench, then heat again and quench.  Then temper.  Not all steels benefit from that, but 5160 does.  I single quench 1084 and 4140.