I Forge Iron

The height of fashion!

Neil Blythin

A friend of mine recently asked me if I could make a 'nail ring'. She had seen one, and liked the idea. So, I pounded out a nail (similar in shape to a horse shoe nail) which I then made into a ring. Another friend was once a hobbiest jeweller, so I had access to a ring mandrel to make sizing it a bit more accurate.

Suddenly, a whole bunch of people that have seen it, want one.

What I didn't realize, was that these things are at the height of fashion right now.

Apparently, Cartier made them (in gold) back in the 1970's, and re-launched the line last year; adding a bracelet to the collection too. A gold Cartier nail bracelet, with diamonds, will run you $34,000! And IMHO, I think theirs are ugly too, as they look Iike a wire nail... Nowhere near as cool looking as a wrought nail.

Google up Cartier "Juste un Clou" (just a nail). I was shocked by 1) how stupid (and uncomfortable) these wire nail style rings look; and 2) how much the fashion / jewellery community were/are raving about them.

I actually didn't take a picture of that first ring I made ... It was a one-off for a friend, and I didn't plan on making any more. If I end up doing more for her friends, I'll be sure to take some pics.

There are a few similar that people have for sale on Etsy and the like. It was a fairly simple ring. The head of the nail was bent over slightly against the nail's shaft (so that it was flat/smooth against the finger), with the pointy end in a bit of a small scroll - also to keep it out of the way for safety & comfort.

I made it from stainless. Left the outside of the ring with a black oxide finish. The inside surface I polished up with some emery cloth - again for comfort.