I Forge Iron

Bush sword with recurve and sharpened clip

This was commissioned by a fellow who liked the bush sword I made for the SEAL a while back.  He wanted something close.  This one ended up a bit longer and narrow with some recurve, but much along the same lines:

mort05_zps24868641.jpg

The steel is 5160, triple normalized, triple hardened, and triple tempered.  The integral socket handle is wrapped in olive drab paracord, with coyote brown two-strand Turk's head knots fore and after, all impregnated with Miwax Wood Hardener.  The overall length is 24", with a 17 3/4" blade.  The fully sharpened clip is 4 1/2".  It'll shave hair coming or going.  :)

mort04_zpsd0366590.jpg

The sheath is Kydex with forest digital camo and two MOLLE locks.

just wondering, is the socket handle for one piece strength or so that it can be made into a spear if required?

I do like the one piece design knives where the metal turns into the handle. and a socket is a good way of making a thicker handle to hold. Did you do the rope handle in a way they you would be hiding equipment in the hollow handle???

The rope handle does look nice, especially with the turkish knots

• 4 weeks later...

I do socket handles for strength, comfort, and niftiness.  I haven't done one yet to double as a spear head or to store gear.  To me it makes a lot more sense to use the sheath as a platform for carrying survival gear: more room, better access, and more likely to remain strapped to your belt while you lose the blade than vice versa.  With Kydex sheaths using eyelets for rivets, it's really easy to store extra cord and lash on storage pouches.

That does make sence when you think about it, Iv just seem a fair amount of 'survival knives' that have everything in the handle. You have a valid point tho.

Just seems like something good can be done with the socket.

Nice concept either way and It looks very rugged with the para wrapping