I Forge Iron

Back in the Saddle

Caius

Since I've recently relocated my forge and anvil to the little cobon behind our garage, my shop is now sheltered from the elements as well as being well lit enough for me to work at whatever time of day or night, i've been getting back in the swing of smithing (hadn't hit hot steel nigh on a year now). I figured I'd post some of my pieces and pictures from the Facebook page I created for my shop. So, enjoy (or not, that's your own opinion; I'm rather biased towards my own work).

post-13527-0-29796400-1360640745_thumb.j

The first thing i ever made with a forge, hammer, and anvil a few years ago, and below it the knife i made tonight.

post-13527-0-00550500-1360640761_thumb.j

RR Spike Fighter pre grind.  Out of every blade I've ever made, this one is the most gracefully shaped.

post-13527-0-93304000-1360640793_thumb.j

My buddy Wesley came by to chill a while in the shop and snapped a picture of me for my girlfriend.

post-13527-0-94020700-1360640814_thumb.j

Final product of the RRS Fighter, decided to gift it as a display piece, sans heat treat other than water hardening.  There is a weak spot at the transition from blade to handle, I twisted just a little too much, having never even held a rr spike before, much less worked with them.  The finish is just what i whipped out with an 8" bench grinder with a wire wheel on one side and a grindstone on the other.

Baton Rouge? Hoss I'm just a couple hours down the road, that's any saturday you say? I'll have to take you up on that in the future :D. A friend of mine from Eunice and her dad have recently gotten into Blacksmithing, and they started with spike knives as first projects. I did mine yesterday for giggles and it turned out better than I thought.

Any Saturday I am ready to welcome all who got the addiction of hot metal , bring your favorite hammer . I can set you up with one of four anvils , a Hay budd, an Emmerson, a Brooks , or a Mousehole . Forges, a coal , a charcoal , a propain ,and a blown natural gas . Most times I am alone ,( bad breath I guess) and see no reason to stay past noon . If anyone wants to come call  (225) 927-9800 before Saturdays , Y'all come!

Baton Rouge? Hoss I'm just a couple hours down the road, that's any saturday you say? I'll have to take you up on that in the future :D. A friend of mine from Eunice and her dad have recently gotten into Blacksmithing, and they started with spike knives as first projects. I did mine yesterday for giggles and it turned out better than I thought.

Whoa whoa whoa lets put the brakes on this wagon train for a second. Who's the new smiths in Eunice? I wasn't aware there were any metal bashers in town