I Forge Iron

End or Night Table

FieryFurnace

No I don't.

I went back and reread the hammer Challange, I think you read far into my post than was my intention. 

LOL very well! Like I said, that sort of thing don't bother me. It is all too easy to mistake or misread someone's tone, intention, meaning, point, figure of speech, and any number of things, via forums, emails, chats, etc. That's part of the reason I don't let stuff bother me.

Again, I always enjoy your posts, and hope you'll pardon me for misreading.

Great thoughts John and thanks for sharing. I don't see how this joint could have been made without some sort of holding aid. There is simply too much to line up. You are correct, there are 9 pieces. Of course leg positioning is critical here. The arch in the leg is a true circle so it will "nest" anywhere along the arch. I had to find the center of each leg and line them up very carefully, around the center element. Then the corner pieces had to be centered.

The light duty rivet pins is a good idea and one I've used in tricky forge welding in the past. I think that would be the only option here as wires or clamps would get in the way.

This has been a very interesting conversation! :D G'day to all!

Collars can be purely ornamental as well as functional. There are many instances in modern metalwork where they are not really needed but ad allot to the piece, ie ornament. Ornament is useless, ie art is useless and has no function. If it makes me a hack to weld under some collars to achieve a means to an end in the opinion(s) of some then so be it. When I designed this  dining room table I never even considered trying to clamp the central elements so I could wrap a 1/2''x6'' around two very large and unwieldy hunks of steel, it would have been 10x the work and not near as strong or accurate.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/22739-dining-room-table/?hl=%2Bdining+%2Broom+%2Btable

I have a tendency to use the past as a foundation to build upon rather than a point to stand in. Some prefer to be "historically correct" in the things they do yet use modern steel in construction rather than wrought iron. Many of these same folks heat their material in gas forges rather than coal or charcoal fired forges. It`s all good IMO. The point for me is to take what came before, distill what is best for the project at hand and use that as a departure point to make the best possible product I can using whatever method I, and I alone, prefer to use when I`m making something for myself or for show. I spend enough of my time crafting things to other`s specifications to be a slave to anything other than my own muse when I`m spending my own time in the shop.

Terrific work David. I have never seen anything you`ve made and posted here that wasn`t given your best effort. If you give your best effort then nobody can reasonably expect more of you. They may share opinions about how to go about doing something differently and that is one of the things that makes us all unique individuals.

I`d also like to commend your open, honest and receptive approach to life and interaction with other craftsmen. As long as we remain teachable we continue to learn. I personally hope to continue learning up till my last day on this earth. I have learned a lot from you personally thru your pics and your posts. Thank you for taking the time to share what you do and how you do it.

It was pretty obvious that there is a weld in there. I think a lot of guys view others' work through their own tenet's, especially the more traditional minded workmen, hard not to.  Do your thing!  The piece is good, some nice metal moving,  and the bundle is a real focal point.  Get a better photo....its gonna be gone soon.

Lastly, on the subject of collars:  Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I never weld under a collar.  A collar is a form of joinery, if done properly, it requires no other help.  Nor do I ever hide a weld.  If I weld, why would I need to hide it?

Well Gerald, this isn't a question....You and John put fourth an opinion on collaring/welding as did I, and you did kinda imply that your way is the correct way. My comments were not a critique of your methods or in any way a personal...... :)

Actually, I was refering to this first question "It looks great, but tell the truth, is there a mig weld under the coller?"

As for this, you're correct, I did.  Why weld if it isn't neccessary?  Just extra work.

Would you attempt this joint without any holding aid for the pieces, if you had to make this design? If not, what method would you have used to hold the pieces in place? 

Always feel free to ask questions on my threads man! :D

The double collars would look nice, but would require a more squared off design. Sounds like a good modification to this design. Instead of the arches, offer a table that is more square. This would give me another design, and increase my chances of catching someone's eye at a show!

Collaring with the legs on the diamond is also a very good idea, as it would eliminate the other decorative elements that make up the center, and would allow me to offer a still nice table at a little bit cheaper price. Again, increasing my chances of picking up a buyer.

I don't have a whole lot of clients that are strict traditionalists. So that's not an issue. However, I do like traditional methods or at least the appearance of traditional methods, as it looks better than modern methods.....most of the time.

I'm wanting to make about a half dozen tables for this spring's craft show market. Maybe instead of 6 exactly the same, I'll do two rounded ones, two with the simple center, and two with the squared up double collar design. Sounds like it'd keep things more interesting anyway! :D