I Forge Iron

Anvil Help...may get a big one tomorrow

Air compressor crapped out and I h ave to figure out how to fix it. I'm going to hace to clean it up another way ans maybe I can find some markings and get a clear picture. From dimenaions I saw on a Wm Foster this one matched...could be something else but it does have a date stamp and that's all I got so far

Got after it with a wire wheel again today and cleaned it up pretty good. Still cant really tell the date well. There is a 3 where I thought there was a date that is pretty obvious though it seems to be cast into instead of struck. Where a name would be is simply pitted so bad there is no way to make out marks....the closest I can come to identifying anything is what looks like the bottom of an ILL in one less damaged spot.

The edges of the face need some serious attention by a skilled anvil welder, but there is a usable section. There is about a 2inch by 6 inch strip of pretty smooth clear face, but the rest is pitted pretty bad and needs worked down a bit. It isnt flat as it has obviously seen lots of use. The horn cleaned up much better than expected. The shelf is beaten down a bit and could possibly be reworked if/when I get the rest worked on.

For now, I mounted it to a stump that is slightly too small but it is well supported (the tips of the feet hang off slightly) and 4 RR spikes staked it down for now.

I also staked down my 163lb Brooks on a stump and my 100lb HB on the truss section. I need to get ahold of 3 more stumps and redo the HB mount (if one is big enough move the 350lb one too) and mount my oldie 128lb...and the 97lb PW.

I also lined my forge with refractory cement so it has to dry. Then Ill load it up and see if I can get the blower mounted and plumbed so I can get it fired up. Then I can start working on some of the scrap I have acquired (probably surrounded with 3 anvils....350, 173, and 100) thaqt way I can work on whichever seems best at the time. Like cutting and working a huge torsion bar...350lb, while I have some little thin stuff that will work fine on the 100lb.

Also got an old porcelain cast iron sink that I may try to turn into a forge eventually :)