I Forge Iron

fire cement

Joel OF

I came across fire cement for the first time the other day. If you believe the claims it's "heat resistent to 1250 degrees celcius". Could it be useful for patching up cracks in a clayed forge that's burning coke?

I have read in other threads that cement is not good to use in a forge as it spalls, but going by the name I'm guessing this fire cement might hold up better? Maybe it'd be safest to use on the hearth and not firepot?

This is the stuff: http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-fire-cement-2kg/50751

Any advice and/or experience appreciated. Cheers

I used refractory cement witch sed it was good for upto 2,000 degrees celcius for my bronze casting furnace, I used the rest to replace the clay bottom in my coal forge, the only problem I can see is the clinker sticks to it when its realy hot, and when the clinker is chipped off it takes some cement with it

Are you just wanting to fix cracks or cement the whole bottom?

the only problem I can see is the clinker sticks to it when its realy hot, and when the clinker is chipped off it takes some cement with it

For that reason I'd avoid using it at the bottom of the firepot, but I'd consider using it where ever it's useful. It's only £3.50 so it's worth having a tub of it knocking around if it's got some use.