I Forge Iron

Properly store and transport your fuel tanks

Daniel.85

Something like that happened here in Phoenix, a family was moving and packed their BBQ with propane tank in a U-Haul truck, parked the truck over night and drove off the next day and while going down the road, BOOM!!! the truck blew apart. The bottle had not been shut off and there was a leak, the gas had filled the space and somehow there was an ignition point as the truck was going down the road. Here again, fortunately, no one was injured but the contents and the truck were total losses.

Every year I need to get my cars emission tested, and every year I remind the manager of the testing station to remover the propane bottles from the testing bays. He always tells me it is safe, he is an idiot. The gas, if there is ever a leak, will settle in the dynamiter pits and could result in an explosion. When I was a wee little lad and just starting out doing plumbing design we had to do a remodel of a lube/oil rack building for a utility company in a remote part of the state. Their problem was that the old gas piping had leaked one night and filled up the lube pit with propane fumes and the early morning guy had walked in with a lit cigar in his mouth. He got a faint whiff of the gas and was very lucky he didn't set off the whole mess. It was cold and the gas was heavier than air and very dense that morning, if it had been summer everything would have gone sky high. We were hired to bring the whole building up to the current building codes.

Flammable gasses are not to be fooled around with and that's no lie!