I Forge Iron

BIG spear point hunter

Sam Salvati

Here is a big spearpoint hunter I forged today from some 5160. it's not heat treated yet, with the secondary edge bevel only ground on to feel the geometry a bit. It's BIG, but not as thick as it looks. I forged it to shape mostly, then refined the outline with my bench grinder, cause I hurried alittle while forging and it wasn't as crisp as I usually get them. Will get maybe some walnut slab handles.

2659.attach

2660.attach

2661.attach

Thanks Lt, I love forging blades. I am still learning how to do nice clean mounts and stuff, so for now I am just loving doing the hammer finish blades, real utilitarion, not-afraid-to-use and not-afraid-to-trust blades. I do also have a bunch of other blades i know have to polish, then mount(see my other thread).

don't know if this would be of any use to you, but i have some fairly nice figured " crotch burled " walnut. :D
if you are interested send me your address and i will mail you enough to
handle that hunter you just made.:o
i have plenty and seems fair to me to share this stuff.:)
buzz

COOL Buzz thanks, maybe on the next one! I have so much of this walnut, and some sugar maple, and some zebrawood, I wanna use some of it up here and there whenever I can. Maybe with this special project I have coming up, i'll take your offer for sure on some, DEFINATELY. I heat treated this blade today, and it turned out pretty good. The tempering cycle was kind of unusual, as I had some people coming in so i didn;t monitor the temperature as closely, and it went all over. It will be interesting to see the results. I also forged a tanto style blade from some 1075, and water quenched it without clay coat, it got some interesting surface patterns I will explore more once I can grind and polish it more.