I Forge Iron

Hello from Buhl, Idaho

post-30165-0-32238800-1359220944_thumb.j

Hello everyone

I am 47 years old and have wanted to try blacksmithing since I was a young boy growing up on a farm in the Arkansas Ozark Mountains. I was first exposed going to forging in Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri. I am finally going to try it. I bought an old beat up English anvil, the edge is poor but the top is flat and smooth and it seems to have a decent ring. I am getting a gas forge in about 4 weeks and then it will be time to get to hammering!

I have to say that one of the greatest benefits of the internet, to me, is site like this one. Fifteen years ago it would have been very difficult to figure out how to go about learning to blacksmith. But with the help of IFI and other educational site it makes it more approachable.

Thanks for all the information!

Kirk Peterson

Welcome.  I hope you enjoy your forey into this wonderfull craft. 

Just an fyi the ring is often a misunderstood aspect of the anvil and actually not important and may be more detrimental to your hearing and work as it takes away energy that would otherwise go to the work.  It is the rebound of the anvil that matters and the ring is only a byproduct of the shape of the anvil (think tuning fork).  Rebound can be measured by dropping a hardend ball bearing next to a ruler from the 10 inch mark and seeng how far the first bounce brings it back up the ruler. 

sorry I just chring everytime I hear it refered to in a positive manner as the ring only helps to aid in the destruction of anyone in decible ranges hearing. 

It looks like you have a very nice anvil and a good set of tooling to start off.  I still have yet to acuire or make one of those nice cone mandralls.  Looking good!

Howdy Kirk from a Buhl native.    :)    I am a full time smith living in Seattle but was born and raised in Buhl.  My pop is also into blacksmithing and I would recommend you stop in and say hi.  His name is Lauren and you can find his shop at 223 S broadway  (LL Langdons)  

Welcome to the site and be sure to ask lots of questions.   There are a lot of great folks here (and a few curmudgeons)

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Stephen Olivo, I appreciate the comment on the "ringing" of anvils. I damaged my hearing too much  with loud music when I was younger. I can't afford much more damage to them.

Monstermetal, I spent some time with your Dad a couple of weeks ago. He is a very friendly guy! He showed me around his shop and showed my a lot of the pieces he has been working on. He told me about you and that you were a full time smith outside of Seattle. He also showed me a very nice hammer you had made him! I checked out your website. Very nice site and beautiful work!