I Forge Iron

Skewers, trussing needles and a pork roast

Here is a pic of the skewers I forge inspired by Bealer (pages 273-275).

http://yvesforge.blogspot.ca/2013/01/historical-skewers-and-pork-roast.html

I sold quite a few of these at the Xmas fair. When I get back to the forge, these are amongst the first objects I'll forge to replenish the stock for future fairs.

As to the trussing needles, I do not know how well they sell. I had none with me at the fair. Next time though. 

Yves, don't put too much trust in info' from Bealer about historical cooking equipment.

I've been studying the subject for years and have only ever come across one reference to genuine antique skewers in that style (shown in 'The American Hearth' by Barons & Card). All others I have come across in colonial North America and the Old World at that time were flat. I do a lot of meat cooking with fire and can tell you that the benefit of flat skewers is clear, they don't twist and come loose in use.

The only exceptions to flat skewers are presentational ones, usually with decorative ends, and those used in hasteners (Dutch ovens) which were more like substantial wire and fitted into one of the small holes running along the internal spit.

For illustrations a good book to start with is 'Iron and Brass Implements or the English and American House' by John Seymour Lindsay. But, guessing you are francophone, a better book for Quebec might be Lecoq's 'Les Objets de la vie Domestique'. (Expensive because hard to find) There is a Canadian book 'Hearth and Home' by Fiona Lucas, that shows many implements, but I can't see any skewers clearly pictured.

If you want some info' from Lecoq's book, p.m. me an email address and I'll scan and send some to you.