I Forge Iron

Canedy-Otto Chief blower geartrain rebuild?s

T.A.Barton

During a rebuild of blower that I wound up with, I noticed there were no red thrust/wear shims/spacers whatever they are like in my recent TIGER blower rebuild. This blower was cobbled together and in rough shape, due to the noisy gear train I was wondering if I was lacking something. Any and all help would really be greatly appreciated.

• 3 months later...

I just finished restoring a Western Chief Blower and all of the shafts had thrust washers on them. If there are no washers then the metal to metal friction of the gears and housing may be causing your lack of coast.  Be careful that the washers you choose are not too thick.  If they are, the gears will bind when you tighten the bearing plate screws and that will cause the same problem. I used 1/64" fiber washers from McMaster-Carr. 

You didn't mention if you had put oil in the unit before spinning it.  This is important as the friction caused by the combination of multiple gear and shaft/bushing contact would definitely affect free spinning.