I Forge Iron

A better and safer bench grinder wire brush

Cap, the difference between a professional (10+ amp) hand-held 4.5 inch grinder and a wire wheel on a dinky homeowner drill is the difference between a Ford Expedition and a Mini-Cooper. (Both parked in my driveway; His 'n Hers.)

Even a cheap 5 amp import grinder with a few accessories will save you lots of wear and tear on your joints, plus time. The downside: more power & higher speeds = more danger. Your level of caution and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must go up accordingly.

Hey, whose drill are you calling dinky?  That' thing's a 30 year old black and decker I'll have you know which is easily one step up from dinky.  I'd say it's at least in the "Mickey Mouse" category of tools, haha.

Yeah, I figured.  I've never been accused of being a rocket scientist or brain surgeon but I'm smart enough to know that there's a lot I DON'T know, so I'd rather something take a bit longer but be safe doing it.  I pondered getting a nice honking grinder a few weeks ago but when I picked it up I knew it was too much tool for me right now.  I think the 5 amp import might be a decent starting point for grinders, after I get a firm command of the electric drill.  I have a complete set of Bosch 18V cordless tools that has done me very well but all I was doing was building tool sheds and work tables out of dimensional lumber...it's become quite clear very quickly how different of a game iron is.

I also have a 3 year old daughter who is fascinated by all the noise and ruckus I create outside and she loves watching me "bang the orange thing with the hammer on the pointy table" so I really want to set a good example for her too.  She sits inside the kitchen window watching everything I do, and then when the high speeds and intense heat are all done for the day, she comes out and helps me bang on some modeling clay with a rubber mallet. 

To be honest though, I'd take the Cooper over the Expedition.  Those babies are fun to zip around in.