I Forge Iron

Hand held sanders

I just wanted to mention that I've been using a Makita hand held sander for a number of years, and I like it. It takes a 1 1/8" x 21" belt. When I show it to others, they are sometimes surprised that there is such a thing. I think the sanders are currently sold with a variable speed adjustment and are in the range of $240-$250 retail. They also make one with a  3/8" wide belt. There is also the "high priced spread" made by Dynabrade. They have abrasives so narrow, that one of their sanders is called a Dynafile.

This was brought to mind recently, because after several years of service, I had to replace the smaller of the two pulleys and the so called "shoe" (platten). Surprise! The old pulley had a little capsulated race of needle bearings inside with a press fit. Not being a machinist, I split two sides of the hollow cylinder with a little zip saw just shy of the bearings. I was able to split the steel pulley in two. I inserted the bearings in the new pulley with slow, steady vise pressure.

Those are great little sanders, I sanded down the side of my house with one and it is still going strong. It is a variable speed sander, I have Ship Lap siding in a pattern called "Teardrop" that has about a 2 1/2 inch profile with a rounded nose at the bottom edge. The siding is redwood (house built in 1943). I had to scrape and sand to bare wood to get a good coat of paint.  There is a wide range of belt grit available also