I Forge Iron

First set of tongs...

Ricko13

So.. after getting clearance from the tower (aka wife) and some time off (aka weekend), my father and I tried our hand at making a set on tongs... and boy did we learn a thing or two. Going off Brian Brazeal's great "How to" on youtube.. we went ahead and just did it....

Let me tell ya... moving 3/4" round with a 3.6# hammer was "fun" in every sense of the word. The end result was a combination of work between my father and I, which would explain the different "jaw" sizes (he's got a power hammer for an arm...).

tongs.jpg

We also had our first customer order (more like a favor). An uncle needed an extra long firepoker... so.. we used 6' of 1/2" square and went to town....

longfirepoker.jpg

All in all.. a great first weekend for pure forging goodness.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me tell ya... moving 3/4" round with a 3.6# hammer was "fun" in every sense of the word. The end result was a combination of work between my father and I, which would explain the different "jaw" sizes (he's got a power hammer for an arm...).

Ricko13 you aren't kidding, I only have a 2.5lb hammer and moving 3/4" rebar is a chore!  That's a nice set of tongs, way better than the first ones I made that actually work.  It took me 3 attempts to get a set I can use.

Here are the crappy pair of tongs I just finished.  http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/image/36433-tongs-try-3-small/