I Forge Iron

Another newb...

Tubularfab

Guess I ought to make my first post in here. In my current life I'm a welding instructor at a community technical college and really enjoy it. My boss is interested in building up the ornamental side of the program, so I've been reading up every chance I can get. I also have a fabrication shop where I specialize in mandrel tube bending projects.

I definitely have the family history to make this a natural choice. My father's side of the family all were involved with metal working - old school machining and welding. My mother's side has the artists - my grandfather was the first art director for the Zippo lighter company. So - gotta see if I can combine the two in this medium!

Past life? Engineer at a small sportscar manufacturer. Heavily involved with fabrication there as well.

Guess that's enough for now. Thanks for all the great reading on this site!

Howdy. I'm glad you're looking at avenues of metalworking past cutting and joining. It's never wise to close your mind. I'm a good fabricator, and forgework has made me, well, half crazy, to be honest. There used to be only 5 ways to get to the desired end, and now that I'm somewhat fluent with plastic deformation, well, the answer depends on how late in the afternoon it is, and what bottle the latest customer has brought in as thanks for the last job...A couple years in fundamental training will reward you with a lifelong career in blowing customers minds. I was watching some stupid TV show last week, they had a quote..' If a craft takes a long time to learn, go ahead with it.. the time will pass anyway'.
have fun, don't take yourself too serious...