I Forge Iron

Newbie looking at a HayBudden

Saw an HB anvil and thought it might be a good starter for me (bye bye RR track). Stamped as 1 3 9 which I calculated using cwt system at 205# but now after reading here HB was stamping with weight in pounds! Arrgh. So 139 not 205 and that makes the asking price less of a deal for sure. Here's a pic. Any comments welcomed.

3K43M83l85Ia5N65H5capb6510fa54c581b04.jp

I agree with Stewart, (inform the media!).

Unfortunately a lot of sellers seem to think there is a vast collectors market full of people slavering to give them their money. It may take a while for them to figure out that there is a quite shallow collectors market in anvils. I *like* to buy anvils with minor defects or mods as the drop in price can be substantial for something that has little or no effect on use.

Hey - thanks for your responses. I really appreciate them.

This is where the weight miscalculation on my part shows - at my wrongly determined weight of 205#, I would have been just under $2/lb but at 139# it's just under $3/lb @ $400. AND it's still quite a distance for me to pickup.

"At one dollar a pound, if you get that anvil, lol, you committed a robbery! If you get it for 2 dollars a pound, you got an excellent deal. 3 dollars a pound, and the price was fair. Any more money than that, and you may be overstretching your wallet, considering the condition, which is pretty good, but not perfect..............

If any of you in the intermountain or pacific northwest have something you'd prt with, feel free to PM me. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks Stewart - I had my eye on that one as well and decided to go with it!

The first anvil, 139# HB, was near San Francisco, CA Reply to: qggwh-3365323415@sale.craigslist.org......... and s9bd8-3318730225@sale.craigslist.org 4 anvils 100# - 300# in Bellingham, WA ($400-$600). And CA - 130# PW/$400 r4ssf-3274185347@sale.craigslist.org

There's a start.