I Forge Iron

What can you tell me about this anvil?

I've been looking out for a double horned anvil for some time, and have finally found one for sale near me. What can you tell me about this one? Looks like it's seen some use, as expected, but looks in good condition. What would your opinion be on this, and can you tell me anything about the maker? It looks like there are some markings, but the pictures are a little small.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290797145769?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks!

Wow you will have to mount it on a crooked stump. The top does not appear to be level with the base. It has the upsetting block on the base so in my mind that is a big plus. Looks like it might be cast steel so that is also a plus.
I would work on that uneveness to reduce the price or let it go. If it were over here in the states I would go as high as 250 on it myself but not more.
The above statement is my opinion only and others may feel differently. "no warranty expressed or implied":)

I was just eyeing that up myself. It looks gorgeous to me but yeah as said it is quite uneven for some reason.

I can't decide if its a crack or just a mark in the middle of the face in the first picture.

I'd say go for it. Then it means I know it will go to a good home and I won't have to bid on it! ;)

Cheers Andy

I've been looking out for a double horned anvil for some time, and have finally found one for sale near me. What can you tell me about this one? Looks like it's seen some use, as expected, but looks in good condition. What would your opinion be on this, and can you tell me anything about the maker? It looks like there are some markings, but the pictures are a little small.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Thanks!

I like that style of anvil. Based on your photographs, it looks good. Who made it? How much does a new one cost? Given the damage, is it as useful as a new one? Would a new one really be so much better?