I Forge Iron

Any idea what sort of anvil this is please..

Hello, I was given this anvil last week from a friend's father, it was preventing the garage door from opening fully and getting in the way! So it was handed over to me.. For free!!
Trouble is, blacksmithery and anvils is all new to me. I have no idea what I've got, any clues would be greatly appreciated. I have scrubbed it with a wire brush, only markings I can find are on the side "1 0 0" many thanks, Alex.
post-27982-0-23102200-1350329535_thumb.j
post-27982-0-51189700-1350329551_thumb.jpost-27982-0-07358900-1350329572_thumb.jpost-27982-0-93895500-1350329587_thumb.jpost-27982-0-95504200-1350329608_thumb.j
Plate welded to the top..? post-27982-0-79005200-1350329626_thumb.j

WHAT COUNTRY ARE YOU IN?

Looks old english in styling---fat waist and sharp tops of the feet. It's most likely marked in CWT system 100 being 112#

If you live in the USA it would be most likely a Mousehole as they are the most common brand of that style here.HOWEVER; Postman has found over 200 anvil makers that worked in England and many of them made similar style anvils, often because they started in someone else's shop and then went off and started their own businesses...

It is welded up out of several pieces and yes should have a high carbon face plate welded on top---many of them will have the plate made from several piece of steel and you can sometimes see the join marks going from side to side.

If you are in England then it's more of a toss-up as to which of the 200+ makers it was.

That is the absolute best kind of anvil to have, a free one. :D
The fact that it`s in entirely workable condition is a big added bonus. I`d test drive it soon and often and be sure to post pics of the results.
Be sure to give something nice that you`ve made with it to the person who thought so highly of you that they gave it to you.

Im in the UK.
I've tried wacking it with a hammer (the anvil that is) its not a dull thud, but not piercing ring either. I plan to mount it on a nice fat hardwood log, and ultimately use it, I've been messing about with cold forged stuff and a mig welder for a couple of years now.. Think im ready for level 2 now I've got an anvil :-)

Would love to be able to make something pretty from the anvil to give to the previous owner..

Nice looking anvil you got there and a wonderful price too! Now build a forge and get some iron hot and start to clean that face and horn up with some hot forging. If you want to do some more cleaning than that use a wire brush, NOT a power grinder, you want to wear out your anvil out with work not abrasives. Have fun with that anvil, you'll be surprised how good it is for your dominate arm.

• 2 weeks later...