I Forge Iron

Help with forging Stainless

Guest Johnnie

Guest Johnnie

Hi, can anyone help?

I've tried forging a bangle out of 8mm stainless round bar for the 1st time today and its not working!

Not sure of the grade but the tapered scroll end fell apart and the twist just sheared off!

Not a good start!! I am forging at a orange heat in a gas forge, but where am I going wrong???

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Guest Johnnie

Hello and thanks to you all for your replies. The SS I am using is 304 (just found the invoice)
Personally I think I cooked it at it was soaking in the gas forge till orange heat. Will try again today using oxy Propane and fingers crossed!!!

My experience with 300 SS is that you want a nice lemon yellow. The 18% chrome and 8% nickel make this material hot hard. When I forge 316/316L also an 18-8 alloy, I use a lemon heat and quit at red.
We forged millions of pounds of 316SS at this temp in the valve and fitting forge shop. If you check you will also find that due to the high strenght at high temp you will need 30-50% more force to make the same movement as plain steel.

300 SS forged too cold will tear and crumble.

Just checked the best reference in on the stainless steels, the Carpenter Blue book.
Forging of 304 and 316 are both 2100F to 2300F and no forging below 1700F.
Don't forget to anneal for best corrosion resistance after forging.