I Forge Iron

Anthracite

Hi all! Ive been struggling to find good quality forging coal here in South Africa. Now Im using Anthracite. The stuff works great! I needed to modify my blower a bit, anthracite needs a stronger airflow, but once lt gets going it heats metal to forging heat in a jiffy! Anyone else using anthracite?
Bb

Wyoming stoaker Anthracite coal that goes through my home town in Colorado to the big power plants is sometimes high in sulfur. This makes it hard on steel and smell bad when burning. It is lower in btu than a good Bituminous like pocahontas #3. It just means you have to use more of it and hold your nose.:(

I have used a mixture of Anthracite the soft coal that comes out of Wyoming when I couldn't find anything better. Adding a little soft coal helps keep it lit by it's self it is hard to keep lit but it can be done. If you can't forge with the coal you want, forge with the coal you got.

Woody

Got my soft coal from the heating plant at UGA in Athens for years, I would spend a whole day coking up the coal and store the coke for later use, I am way out in the country so smoke was not a problem. Actually, because of the smoke a guy found my house and sold me the anvil I now use.