I Forge Iron

last minute gift

The eldest daughter, of a very close friend, is getting married soon. My wife and our four year old daughter were invited to the bridal shower which was today. Times are tight for us, like they are for so many, and we didn't really have the money to buy a gift. My wife asked if I could make something for them to take as a gift. I am still, very much a beginner, and as such, I am very self-conscious about my work. I didn't want them to have to go empty handed, so I made a simple letter opener, with a leaf handle. The bride was very gracious, and said she loved it. Perhaps, I underestimated the value of a handmade gift, no matter how simple.post-1273-0-17172800-1343523690_thumb.jppost-1273-0-77289000-1343523769_thumb.jppost-1273-0-56361300-1343523868_thumb.jp

VERY nice! I will often sand and polish the blade on letter openers and the contrast looks interesting when combined with "as forged" elements like your leaf handle. The polished blade will tend to smoothly open letters without snagging even if the blade is not very sharp. I love what you made and this is only suggestions for future work... forge on!

I will have to try the "by hand " method for now, but would definitely like to try it. I was working on a project today, and after two hours in the smithy, I was wringing wet. 103 degrees outside, and I'm building a fire to heat metal. This really is a disease.