I Forge Iron

Steel supplies in uk

Jim-the-Jedi

Hi,
I'm trying to find a steel supplier in the uk that can provide me with 2 suitable steels to make Damascus with.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a supplier (and make any suggestions as to what would be good steels to use)

I hopefully have some O1 on its way to me any suggestions as to what would be good to pair it with?

When you choose steels to weld together you need to make sure they are heat treated as near to the same as possible. )-1 is not one I use in pattern welding. A favorite pair I use is 1084 and 15 N 20,, They will weld for anyone that can weld. The contrast is wonderful. one heat treat works for each of them. i cannot translate those names to the UK equivalent but expect google can..I also expect someone from your area will jump in and ,provide supplier information.

the easiest and best place to get steels for pattern welding in the UK is from Mick Maxen. He buys in C20 (i think) and 15N20 from sweden and cuts them up for welding. The 15N20 is the tough one to get in the UK and if you get it direct from Sweden you have to buy tonnes of it, literally.