I Forge Iron

forge question

4dead

Let me start by saying what a great learning experience this site is. I am just getting started smithing. Always been interested, just never done it. I just bought my first coal forge and have a question or two. It is what I beleive is called a rivet forge. It is in really good shape with a handle you pump, not sure what that is called. It is not lined with anything. I have fire clay I thought I would line the bottom with a couple of inches of clay. OK? Do i need to try to put some on the sides also? It is 18 inches across with a 2.5 inch teuere where the air comes in and also ashe drop. Is this OK or should I block off the hole with a thick steel plate with holes drilled in it, or is it supposed to be open like it is? I will post some pics. when I get my wife to help me do it. Any answers and hints greatly appreciated. Thanks Randy.

Hi Randy and welcome to IFI. Lets go down your list. First, what you are describing indeed sounds like a rivet forge with a ratchet pump that operates the blower. I have had one and they work well, although you would get more air with less work if you had a hand crank blower, IMHO. Next, as for lining the forge. There are going to be guys that say that you have to line the forge with "X" amount of clay for "X" reasons. I have been using a rivet forge on my demos for years and have forged 3 days straight, at least 8 hrs per day, and I have never lined my forge. It works just like it is, even for forge welding. The one BIG thing that I will caution you about, especially if not lining it is, DO NOT pour water on the coal to put your fire out when done forging. You will end up with a forge that is in several broken pieces. Spread the fire out and let it go out that way. Next, you sound like you have a 2 1/2" hole at the bottom of the pot. You will need some sort of grate to keep the coal from falling down the chute. The plate that you mentioned will work. On my shop forge, I welded several 3/8" round rods accross the opening allowing enough room for ashes to drop thru and air to get up to the fire. I hope this helps. You are about to get more tips and advice, so standby and don't take mine as the only way things should or can be done. These guys have a lot of GREAT info. Read it all and use what you will. My 2 cents. :)

Lining the forge with a sand /cement mix protects the iron from cracking and insulates the fire from the HEAT SINK of the metal.You can mold a bowl shape into the mix and it will be a help in keeping a deep fire. Mix 3 parts sand to 1 part portland cement (not concrete mix ) mix it to just moist, and mold it to the shape you want. Fire clay will crack and break up. This liner does not crack and keeping the coal wet is good for fire maintenance.

Thanks for the replys. Curly George, if I do the 3/8" rod I am thinking of taking a short piece of pipe slightly smaller than my hole.welding a flange on top amd welding rod onto flange. Whaddayathink? Old n rusty I have portland and sand but not refractory(I think thats the right word) That be OK?

Portland and sand are fine, that is what I have in mine. For my cover, I have a hunk of 1/4 plate with a bunch of holes drilled in it. I have also seen people use cast iron floor drain covers. You just need something to keep the coal from falling down the pipe. Worst think that can happen is it will either: A. Melt away, or B. Clinker with attach to it.

• I have a small rivet forge as well, and Old N Rusty's mix idea has worked well for me. I haven't found the need to water my coal since i'm never forging for any great lengths of time, I just put in what I need, as i need it. I never extinguish with water, but shovel all the coal and coke into a 5 gal bucket of water and all the useable stuff floats to the top where i simply remove it and let it dry out. (I have to pack all my stuff back in the garage when done, so this method makes sure the forge can cool, and my garage won't burn down from smoldering embers!)
  • Welcome to the site, and the new habit! Good luck!

Thanks for the info. about my forge. I cut a round plate and drilled holes in it and lined it with a couple of inches of portland and sand. Worked great. Actually did my first blacksmithing this weekend. I made a meat turner I saw someone make on Youtube. I think it turned out pretty good for my first thing. Also learned a few things just by doing it. #1 when hammering, don't miss the rod and hit the anvil 'it's got a pretty good rebound to it.GRIN! I only got to play a little while, the belt came apart.The guy I bought it off of put a new belt on it and just wired it together. I took it to work and laced it like it is supposed to be. I am totally stoked about smithing,be whatever I make ever so simple and can't wait till the weekend to do it again. Thanks Randy.