I Forge Iron

Hog Roasting Machine

Scot

Hello Guys and Gals!
I'ts been some time since I visited this site as I have been real busy working. I have a question regarding a hog rosting set up to roast a small pig over an open fire. We were thinking of using an electrical cement mixer motor set up but I was wondering if anyone has ever been down this road of fabricating something along these lines and could offer any input into pitfalls to avoid or height required above fire which will be of the wood variety. The client wants two tripod type structures either side of a fire set in a garden but I was thinking of using a cut down water but or something. There is lots of info on the web regarding gas fired trailer business orientated set ups but we want a cheaper old school log fire set up!!! Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

The one I have used had more of a "swingset" frame---A frame at either end with a cross bar on top. used an industrial clothes dryer pully and a regular fractional horsepower motor.

The spit was mounted in "bearings" on cross bars on the A-frame ends. One was "solid so the end of the spit was thrust into it. The other was sloted with a keeper and some butterfly nuts

One nice thing about the top cross bar is that in case of rain you could put a piece of sheet metal roofing over it to keep the meat/fire dry.

Wouldn't be hard to make the whole thing take down and adjustable with telescoping legs and a removable top bar.

Thomas (who got roped into cooking the pig for a wedding feast when the "cook" was too hung over to.)