I Forge Iron

Hawk drift problem

I've been forging quite a few welded hawks from fariers' rasps. I started useing a guillotine for making my initial weld, and I've had good results in achieving good welds as well as a consistantly sized opening to use for the socket. I have a standard hawk drift which is tapered on the side facing the blade and parallel to the haft on the poll side. The taper on the drift is much steeper than the taper on a standard handle. My problem is that I believe that the taper forces the bottom of the drift to the right (as would a single bevel wood chisle hammed into a block of wood) and subsequently causes the hawk head to mount on the handle at an upward angle. I've tried gently drifting from the bottom to open up the socket a little which helped somewhat. I've considered welding the socket a little wider at the top, but the proper degree is slight and may be difficult to achieve consistantly. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. John

John I think you have alreadly solved this problem, If you used other ldrifts and did not have the issue then it is one of two things; the drift or the method. If you got the drift from a maker contact them and discuss, they may offer a simple solution..