I Forge Iron

Finished the Portable Forge

Very nice job! The table is a great looking design. For some reason, I like the 3 leg designs for tables and stands. Four legs seem to limit placement in tight shops. Not to mention one less leg to work around. I especially like the shelf location, will be handy for those items that "walk away" while smithing!

The forge looks like a good design. How efficient is it, and is there a lot of "dragons breath" from it? I would like to build one in the future, so I can smith year round!

KeyKeeper,
The forge table was built with left overs. The reasoning for three legs is so it will be stable on uneven ground. The shelf will be a catch all like any flat surface;)
The only thing I have to gauge the new forge against is the old "brick pile" forge. This one gets up to temp alot quicker and so far it seems I can do general forging at about 4-5# of pressure. I used to set the old one at 7-8# for general work.
I hope to practice/improve my forge welding with this one. If I only run one burner the dragons breath isn't to bad. With both burners going you have to watch the backs of your hands.
I was going to put doors on both ends but found that most of the time I left the front open and the back was some times closed sometimes open. I installed the brick shelves to give me a "porch" to lay metal on in front and a way to place bricks in back to close it up when needed.
The basic design came from Ron Riel's and Larry Zoeller's web sites.

JWB