I Forge Iron

Upteenth, can you identify

It looks like a cast iron anvil with a top plate. It could be a good steel casting. How does it ring? how is the bounce? Does it weigh 100lbs? Does the top plate seem to be harder than the body?
All these determine the price. Any good anvil is worth at least $2.00 per lb. I have't had to buy an anvil in a while. Back in the 1990's there were a bunch of cast iron anvils out of Mexico that looked real good but were not so good in quality. No hardened top plate and the horn would break off.
Use a file on one of the feet to check for cast iron or steel. Do this first.

I saw this on craigslist so I don't have access to it yet. I'll have to call the guy to check it out. I'm a complete newbie just looking to get started so let me ask some question of your questions.

How does it ring? -- So I whack it with a hammer and listen for? I'm guessing a "pa-ting" or a thud.
how is the bounce? -- I whack it again and see if the hammer bounces off a lot or a little?
Does it weigh 100lbs? -- This one I can figure out on my own :-)
Does the top plate seem to be harder than the body? -- I think I can figure this out to.
Use a file on one of the feet to check for cast iron or steel. Do this first. -- Complete newb, how do I tell the difference?

Thanks

Hey Backwoods Blacksmith, Glenn with two n's, they're aren't too many of us around, and Ridgewayforge, I live in Camp Hill Pennyslvania. I updated my profile. Thanks for the quick responses. I thought too from the pictures that this anvil looks a little off. What's with the color?

Cast iron, when filed will have grainy dull looking fileings. Steel will be bright and slivery. The feel is different also. Try it at home.
The top should ring distintly. Not all will sound like a bell but it won't thud either. When you hit the anvil lightly it should bounce back. Hold the hammer handle lightly. Better yet a 1in ball bearing dropped from a 2 foot height should bounce back pretty well. Metal rusts but the motteled look reminds me of cast iron. Plus the top looks to be cast with the body. The join looks to have a formed radius. Hard to say from the pics