I Forge Iron

I am very new to melting anything but I have looked up a lot about it but still need some help, I am trying to melt some cans I can only melt one can at a time becuase I have to smash them very small. I tried to melt one today with my homemade foundry the thing I'm melting it in is an old 9 ounce co2 tank one that you would use for paintball, I cut the top off of it to put stuff in the bottom of it is round. So today I put my soda can into it and left it for about one hour and it was still the same just red hot, so I took it out and tap it with a hammer and it just went flat like a ball of paper does it not melt to a liquid? But before any of this I put 2 small parts of a knife that snaped in half its stainless steel, it was in there for about 5 or 6 hours and still did not even move everything was red hot but no melting. What am I doing wrong? Here is my foundry, its an old cast iron tea kettle its very heavy and strong and I put a blower on the opening it works really good better then I thought it would, it stays red hot. So I just need some help to find out what I am doing wrong and what I can do better.

Dont bother trying to melt Al cans.
They are too thin and oxide too quickly.
Al melts at 1260 depending on the alloy
Get something that was cast like a transmission housing
I have a melter made out of 1/2 of a 55 gal barrel lined with fire brick. It used a fan and waste oil. The exhaust will melt al.
As for melting stainless you dont have a chance
To do cast iron you need a cupolette (SP) and coke